WHAT CAN YOU DO?
· LOOK, LISTEN AND READ
· Find doctors with whom you can comfortably discuss your questions and issues.
The take home message - Kids’ apnea is a complex problem involving:
· Nasal airway that works
· Oral airway free of obstructions
· Proper position and function of tongue and lips
· Timely growth and facial development
· Coordination of breathing, swallowing, lip function, tongue function, and posture
Diagnosis can only be established based on a polysomnographic study.
Appropriate care involves prevention as well as treatment of symptoms, consequences and causes.
Successful treatment usually requires active parental involvement in a multidisciplinary approach.